NOTICE: Packed agenda for the Whatcom County Council tonight at 7 PM. (and in committe events during the day). Top issues I see are:
1) Red Flag: The Whatcom County Sheriff’s request to spend $477,182.79 of taxpayers dollars to buy 14 new patrol cars from Columbia Ford. See items #13 and 14 on the Consent Agenda.
My Question? When the jail sales tax just failed, is it critical action to spend essentially a half million to buy 14 cool new cars for the Sheriff’s department right now, when our jail is supposedly in crisis conditions (they say for lack of funds) and when people are being harmed? Isn’t there a priority to take care of our citizens first – especially right now since everyone knows that our County is violating State laws by inhumanely treating our citizens?
2) Red Flag: Consent Agenda Item #1 related to a contract with the Washington State Military Dept to enhance the Sheriff’s Office Division of Emergency Management using a Homeland Security Grant for $67,048. I don’t have time right now to look this up, but it might be nice for the public to know. What is the Washington State Military Department?
2) Special Presentation: Behavioral Health Revenue Advisory Committee Quarterly and Annual Reports – and this is related to Item #2 on the Introduction items relating to executing new operating agreements with NSMA – the North Sound Mental Health Administration.
3) Public hearings: On property taxes, Items #1, 2, 3, 4, 6.
4) Public Hearing: Item #8 related to the WC Code Title 20 and the WC Comprehensive Plan related to development regulations in limited areas of intensive rural development (LAMIRDS).
Plus there are conversations about salaries and benefits…and alot more.
I deeply appreciate the work of the Council to dig through all this. This is remarkable the onslaught of material in this agenda. Is it intentional to overwhelm folks? I wonder.